Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm So Sneaky...


Compliments come in the weirdest ways. Here's how it happened...
This weekend was the last Hawkeye home game of the year and Saturday morning at the institute breakfast some friends gave us tickets! J was thrilled to pieces and so we helped clean the chapel, and then joined the masses heading over to beautiful Kinnick Stadium. J had on his Hawkeye shirt, but since mine doesn't fit at the moment, I was wearing the only thing I had with the right colors - a black hoodie with the gold letters, "Rangers." It was a perfect day for football - fresh blue sky, pleasant 60's, and fantastic electricity in the air since the Hawkeyes were on a home game winning streak with this team. I was happy just being outside in the sunshine. As we passed through the gates, there of course was tons of security milling about.
A policewoman came up to me, "Excuse me, may I check your pockets?" She must have signaled another officer because suddenly there were two of them right by me.
"Sure!" I tried to pull my not-so-loose hoodie pocket futher out so they could peek inside. Then it hit me.
"Oh!....No, no this is my belly..." My poor brain started working over time to think of how else to explain my protruding front.
The second officer started laughing, "Can't be sneaking those babies in now can we?" as the first officer kind of just melted away.
Oh the funnies of life - they were just doing a very thorough job at keeping everyone safe - except that they let my purse through which was a tad bigger than it was supposed to be. (Later laughing about it we brainstormed what I could have been smuggling - my favorite basketball I couldn't go to the game without? Our super cool Hawkeye pumpkin? J said I should have just showed her my bare belly...)
What a compliment - she didn't even think I looked pregnant. Here's for hoodies! At least the male officers steered clear - that would have been even more awkward...
Eight days and counting....

1 comment:

dave&hannah said...

HAHAH! Oh Hilary! That is funny... and so weird of that lady. I can't believe she just thought you had enough stuff in your hoodie pocket to make it perfectly round... It is quite the round about way to give a compliment though :)