Thursday, February 2, 2012

Our First Holidays

(Even though it is February and I'm just now getting pictures of our Christmas up, I like to think of it as I have enjoyed the memories this whole time! =))
Our first Christmas rolled around with James not quite a month old. It was quiet- just the three of us. On Christmas Eve Jared made ham chowder and we dined on Grandma Dye's Japanese china. We read the Christmas story and sang Christmas carols and went to bed. The next day we went to church, came home and opened presents, talked to our families and took our first family walk with our new stroller. It was nice; very unlike the nostalgic days of Christmases past, but magical in a new sense - less self-absorbed and more reflective of our new parenthood and more focused on this future chapter.
Throughout the Christmas season I thought often of Mary, the mother of Christ. Although we are nothing alike and our circumstances are incredibly different, I felt a kinship with her, especially having a brand newborn baby boy. (Still in the recovery stages myself, I hoped that Joseph had let her rest a good six weeks before taking her home on the back of a donkey.)
Later when James was blessed (January 1, 2012, New Years!) I reflected again on the beautiful gift of baby at this time of year - so beautiful, so innocent, so wonderful. Perspective really does change - I now see everything differently: all mothers, my parents, other people, the scriptures and of course, myself. We were so lucky to have both of our wonderful parents here for this short but special time. In a brief but lovely weekend, all of my worlds combined. I am so blessed.
So that, in a nutshell, was our holiday season. To all whom we love but could not be with, know that we thought of you fondly!
(Captions below the pictures.)

Our best Christmas gift.
More tummy time by the light of the twinkling tree.
My growing boy.
My forehead wrinkles exactly like Daddy's!
Amazingly, no snow this Iowa Christmas so we broke out our stroller for the maiden voyage.
James Pearson is in there... somewhere!
Aunt Mimi's shoulder tastes soooo yummy!
Grandma I promise I like you!!
My parents, little sister and brother and Jared's parents after the baby blessing. James isn't feeling much love for the camera right then..
Our little family.

Our handsome little guy...

No comments: