Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pregnancy Brain Anyone?

A few days ago I was in the spice section of the grocery store and for the life of me, I couldn't find the curry powder. I was focused and attentive but still all of the names kind of swam together. Finally, after what seemed forever (although I'm sure it was only a minute or two), I asked a friendly looking fellow shopper if she could see curry powder anywhere. She quickly picked an innocent looking bottle off the shelf and handed it to me with a smile. Ah yes, the spices just happened to be in alphabetical order. I sheepishly thanked her and tacted on a lame sounding, "I like to blame pregnancy brain still..." She laughed, "Oh that lasts for years. My oldest is 13 and I still claim it!"

Now lest you think me completely absent-minded, let me say that with all the talents my darling shnookims came with, sleeping for long stretches at a time was not one of them. He still has yet to sleep longer than three and a half hours at a time (generally it ends up being 2-3) which means Mama doesn't sleep longer than that either. Thus pregnancy brain, I've decided, might have just as much to do with sleep deprivation as with the extra hormones. 'Sleep when the baby sleeps' is much harder than it sounds! (How is it possible to not fall asleep when so tired?) Maybe I'm the only one who really notices because when I went in for an appointment about a month after the baby was born, the nurse said, "Wow, he must be sleeping well- you look so fresh and rested!" All I have to say is, make-up can work wonders! =)

However, I wouldn't trade him for 190,000 hours of sleep! He's truly my sunshine and I'm so lucky. He's extremely healthy, so good, and delights me daily. Yes, he can reach for things, scoot himself on his back and laughs when he thinks things are funny.

And since we know he's the main reason for this blog..the update: (Captions below)

Oh hello Mr. Snail...you do tummy time too?
This is one of my favorite ways to see the world. (This picture makes him look huge, but he's really not quite that big yet...)
I supervise Mom's cooking.
Pilot James ready for take-off!
I'm sorry, what's that you say?
Oh you said smile? Okay, ...smiling!!!
Oh sorry, maybe that was too much- this is a much cooler smile...
I have a secret I'll tell if you promise not to say anything...
I'M ADDICTED TO EATING MY HANDS!
Oh, where did these come from? They look familiar.
Oh blast, did I drip again?
Me and my Eskimo suit (as Dad calls it).
My friend Mr. Snail. (His shell comes off)

2 comments:

Sarah Ringer said...

Seriously ditto on the pregnancy brain...drives me crazy some days! But really, look at what perfection came out of your pregnancy--I just love that little boy!

Melynie said...

Oh, he is so stinkin' cute I just want to eat him up!! Can't wait to see him in April. Tell him all about his favorite aunt. Love you all!!